Over 4,500 supporters of the Chefette Fun Run came out on Sunday May 24th for the biggest charity event so far for the year. Every year this family event attracts fitness enthusiasts and persons of charitable spirit including persons from Corporate Barbados, Schools and community groups. They put their favourite calorie-burning hobbies of running, walking, skating or riding to good use when they took part in the Fun Run which started at Chefette Rockley and ended at Chefette Fontabelle.
The event, initially the Ship Inn Fun Run was conceptualized by the late Dame Olga Lope-Seale to raise funds for the Needy Children’s Fund. This Fund is managed by Variety the Children’s Charity and is used to provide assistance in purchasing uniforms and other school supplies for over 250 families who are less fortunate. This year two additional charities, the Young Women’s Christian Association and the Precious Touch Foundation, were adopted who will also receive assistance from the Chefette Fun Run proceeds.
There were several prizes on offer to spur on the enthusiastic lot. Dominic Hunte, the Lester Vaughan Student who won the T-shirt competition received his prize of a $1,000 scholarship from Darrin White, managing Director of Print Brokers. Below is a list of the other winners:
- First male - Mark Greenidge
- First Female - Elizabeth Williams
- First Male 13 – 18 years - Kaipo Marshall
- First Female 13 – 18 years Elizabeth Williams
- First Male 5 – 12 years - Kobe Hutson
- First Female 5 - 12 years - Zahra Gaskin
- First Senior Male - Orin Joshiah
- First Senior Female - Matrid Griffith
- First Wheelchair - Sean Cooke
- The largest corporate team - Sol Barbados Ltd
- The Largest School - St. Winifred’s School
The event was a great success and we must say thank you to our Platinum Sponsor, The Sandy Lane Charitable Trust, and all of our other sponsors & supporter for coming out in their numbers to support this worthy event.